Society focus - November 2012
The Swiss Oncology Nursing Society
The Swiss Oncology Nursing Society (SONS) has been since 2002 an independent professional organization for oncology nurses and other professionals caring for people with cancer and/or being engaged in prevention and early detection of cancer. In summer 2012 SONS had 1,069 members. Irène Bachmann-Mettler is the current president of SONS. Together with the 8 members of the trilingual executive committee and a general secretary she is responsible for the current activities and the future development of SONS.
The overall goal of SONS is to actively contribute to a continuous improvement of oncology nursing in all phases of the disease (prevention and early detection / diagnosis / curative and palliative care / care until and after death) for patients and their families.
SONS has defined several strategic goals:
- Influencing the development of quality of nursing care and education through developing national standards and guidelines and recommendations for nursing education.
- Organisation of continuous education offers.
- Enhancing exchanges between nurses and nursing experts through journal club and direct exchanges.
- Collaboration on national projects in cancer care such as the national cancer plan 2011-2015.
- Collaboration and active participation in organisations focusing developments in cancer care (e.g. Swiss Cancer League, EONS).
To attain these strategic goals SONS conducts a large variety of activities. Amongst others they:
- offer a variety of further training sessions in German and French.
- publish trimonthly a professional journal, the Onkologiepflege / Soins en Oncologie
- organise an annual conference on oncology nursing.
- have a working group on paediatric oncology nursing.
- are closely collaborating with the Academic Society of Oncology Nursing
- have regional sections that meet regularly and are organising regular conferences.
- have networking groups working on specific issues.
- are actively collaborating and participating in EONS projects.
In 2012 some of SONS’s main activities have been linked to the Swiss National Cancer Plan for 2011-2015. Together with the Academic Society of Oncology Nursing a national survey was conducted to describe the current research projects in oncology nursing. Results are available in the French and German languages (http://www.pflegeforschung-vfp.ch/home/page.aspx?page_id=3041). In collaboration with the Swiss Society for Medical Oncology, materials and projects to support adherence with oral therapies were further developed (http://www.oraletumortherapie.ch).
The website of the Swiss Oncology Nursing Society can be found at:
You can also email the general address:
Irène Bachmann-Mettler, President of SONS
Manuela Eicher, President of the Swiss Academic Society of Oncology Nursing
Visit the SONS website
+ Visit the website now
Society focus puts our society members on the spotlight, with news of their activities, events and member support
A different society is highlighted in the EONS email newsletter each month.