11th ESO/EONS Masterclass in Oncology Nursing
24-29 March 2018
Nauen OT Groß Behnitz (Berlin area), Germany
C. Lacerda, PT - E. van Muilekom, NL
R. Verity, UK
B. Grube, DK
The Masterclass in Oncology Nursing programme is designed for European advanced cancer nurses as a multi-professional joint event. Five intensive days of full immersion in up-to-date cancer care will create a collective spirit of teaching and learning to improve clinical skills and patient care.
Nursing sessions are specific nursing-oriented sessions exploring specialist practice skills such as assessment and decision making, communication skills, complex symptom management, research in nursing, and psychosocial consequences of cancer therapy, to mention a few.
Other sessions will provide the forum for reviewing and understanding the growing evidence base for nursing interventions and reflect on participants’ role in clinical leadership. Case studies will be presented by the participants and will explore nursing practice focusing on special aspects of care.
In joint clinical sessions, nurses will, together with physicians, update their clinical knowledge about the latest issues for the management of various cancers, with an international faculty of experts. Special joint sessions will highlight and support the growing need for multiprofessionality in chosen topics. Practical training will be offered in smaller group sessions, case study sessions focusing on skills necessary for patient care management.
Aims and objectives
The Masterclass aims to prepare cancer nurses for future senior roles and enhance their clinical knowledge in the management of the cancer patient during all phases of the cancer journey. Following completion of the course, nurses will be able to use evidence-based knowledge in effective symptom management and interventions with the aim to improve patient experience, symptom management and care.
- Understand new developments in oncology disease management.
- Recognise and describe acute and late adverse effects of cancer and its treatment.
- Identify complex patient needs across the cancer trajectory.
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced communication skills in oncology nursing care.
- Critically appraise the evidence for cancer symptom management and care interventions.
- Reflect on theoretical underpinnings of decision making.
- Describe the role of the advanced oncology nurse in leading clinical nursing care.
The Masterclass is:
- A 5-day residential educational event
- Full immersion
- An international faculty of top experts delivering advanced concepts
The Masterclass programme will be endorsed by the European Oncology Nursing Society.
The Masterclass offers plenary lectures regarding state-of-the-art clinical evaluation and treatments with reference to clinical guidelines and which will include notes and resources. Participants will be supported within small groups and discuss personal development plans with tutors in the faculty.
Skills-based clinical sessions will be interactive and participants must be prepared to join in. All participants will reside at the course venue and participation in the nursing sessions is compulsory throughout the course.
The Masterclass will be entirely in English and fluency in English is necessary for admission. Participants of the Masterclass in Cancer Nursing will attend selected medical sessions. Clinical case studies, submitted prior to the course, will be a requirement for all participants. The faculty will evaluate which case studies will be presented for group discussion.
The full programme is available in the Further Information section on this page.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Works at an advanced nursing practice level, and with at least 3-5 years of clinical cancer nursing practice (a Master of Nursing Science degree is not mandatory).
- Involved in direct patient care, also combined with the management, organisation and co-ordination of cancer patient care.
- Fluent in English (reading and speaking).
- Member of an EONS member society or individual member of EONS.
Attendance and registration
Attendance at the Masterclass is by application only. Successful candidates have free registration and accommodation. Travel costs will not be covered.
The call for applications is now open. The deadline for applications is 1 December 2017. Applications should be made using the online application form.
+ Complete the online application form.
For further information
Please contact Rudi Briké at email@example.com
European Oncology Nursing Society, EONS Secretariat
ESO-EONS Oncology Nursing Masterclass 2018
Apply for the ESO/EONS Masterclass using our online application form.
+ Complete the online application form