12th ESO/EONS Masterclass in Oncology Nursing
23-28 March 2019
Nauen OT Groß Behnitz (Berlin area), Germany
Chair: R. Verity, UK
Coordinator: W. Oldermenger, NL
Advisor: C. Lacerda, PT
The Masterclass in Oncology Nursing programme is designed for European advanced cancer nurses as a multi-professional joint event. Five intensive days of full immersion in up-to-date oncology will create a collective spirit of teaching and learning to improving clinical skills and patient care. Nursing sessions are specific nursing-oriented sessions exploring specialist practice skills such as assessment and decision making, communication skills, complex symptom management, research in nursing, psychosocial consequences of cancer therapy. Other sessions will provide the forum for reviewing and understanding the growing evidence base for nursing interventions and reflect on participants’ role in clinical leadership. Case studies will be presented by the participants and will explore nursing practice focusing on special aspects of care. Special joint sessions, with physicians, will highlight and support the growing need for multiprofessionality in chosen topics. Practical training will be offered in smaller group sessions, case study sessions focusing on skills necessary for patient care management.
Aims and objectives
The Masterclass aims to prepare oncology nurses for future senior roles and enhance their clinical knowledge in the management of the cancer patient during all phases of the cancer journey. Following completion of the course nurses will be able to use evidence-based knowledge in effective symptom management and interventions with the aim to improve patient experience, symptom management and care.
- Understand new developments in oncology disease management.
- Recognise and describe acute and late adverse effects of cancer and its treatment.
- Identify complex patient needs across the cancer trajectory.
- Demonstrate understanding of advanced communication skills in oncology nursing care.
- Critically appraise the evidence for cancer symptom management and care interventions.
- Reflect on theoretical underpinnings of decision making.
- Describe the role of the advanced oncology nurse in leading clinical nursing care.
The Masterclass offers plenary lectures regarding state-of-the-art clinical evaluation and treatments with reference to clinical guidelines and which will include notes and resources. Participants will be supported within small groups and discuss personal development plans with tutors in the faculty. Skills based clinical sessions will be interactive and participants must be prepared to join in. All participants will reside at the course venue and participation in the nursing sessions is compulsory throughout the course. The Masterclass will be entirely in English and fluency in English is necessary for admission. Participants of the Masterclass in Nursing Oncology will attend selected medical sessions. Clinical case studies, submitted prior to the course, will be a requirement for all participants. The faculty will evaluate which case studies will be presented for group discussion.
The Masterclass is:
- A 5-day residential educational event
- Full immersion
- An international faculty of top experts delivering advanced concepts
General information and application
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- Works at an advanced nursing practice level, and with at least 3-5 years of clinical cancer nursing practice (a Master of Nursing Science degree is not mandatory)
- Involved in direct patient care, also combined with the management, organisation and co-ordination of cancer patient care
- Fluent in English (reading and speaking)
- Member of an EONS member society or individual member of EONS.
Attendance at the Masterclass is by application only. Successful candidates have free registration and accommodation. Travel costs will not be covered.
The Masterclass Programme is available in the Further Information section.
Participants are selected by means of a strict application review. The deadline for applications has now passed and the list of selected applicants will be available shortly on this page.
ESO-EONS Oncology Nursing Masterclass 2019
The selected participants for the 2019 Masterclass are:
Alexandra Abela Fiorentino, Malta
Catarina Almeida, Portugal
Maria Branco, Portugal
Gul Cankaya, Turkey
Ana Chemela, Portugal
Maria Teresa Drummond Borges, Portugal
Kenneth Grima, Malta
Lore Hoof, Belgium
Tutta Kosonen, Finland
Maria Kousoulou, Cyprus
Maja Kozuh, Slovenia
Donna Mckeown, UK
Lisa Murray, UK
Inmaculada Ortega, Spain
Sarah Owen-Jones, UK
Amita Patel, USA
Maeve Portelli, Malta
Paraskevi Maria Prapa, Greece
Carla Rigo, Italy
Kathrine Rørtveit, Norway
Arianna Rosich Soteras, Spain
Anne Ryan, Ireland
Grazyna Suchodolska, Poland
Marie Svensson, Sweden
Giannos Toumbis, Cyprus
Hilde Ulveseter, Norway
Yvonne Van Straalen, Netherlands
Anila Varghese, UK
Wilma Vermeulen, Netherlands
Annekathrin Wieland, Germany