Society Focus - April 2014
SIO (Société Belge des Infirmiers en Oncologie)
Established in 1984, the Belgian Oncology Nursing Society (SIO Société Belge des Infirmiers en Oncologie) is the French-speaking national organization that supports Belgian nurses to promote and develop excellence in oncology nursing practice, education, research and leadership.
The society has about 150 members and attracts nurses working in the field of prevention, treatment, palliative care and cancer survivorship from the inpatient as well as from the outpatient setting.
Our oncology nursing members are aware that a specialized body of knowledge and skills is essential to the provision of high quality care, and therefore our national organization fosters the maintenance of high standards of nursing care for people with cancer.
The Executive Board of the SIO consists of nine oncology nurses with specialism in oncology nursing practice and education.
The President is Patrick Crombez, who is Head Nurse of the Department of Hematology & Stem Cell Transplantation in a Comprehensive Cancer Center (J. Bordet Institute) in Brussels. You can contact him on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patrick Crombez was elected as an EONS Board member in 2013. He is also co-chair of the EONS Advocacy Working Group.
- Represent oncology nurses in various fields of activities, education, research and partnerships.
- Promote the continuing education of each oncology nurse by facilitating access to information sources.
- Develop exchanges and collaboration strategies with established institutions for training in specialised oncology nursing.
- Maintain an active role in setting the national political agenda on health policy and maintain close links with the Ministry of Health.
- Stimulate the scientific, ethical and psychological questioning and reflection of oncology nurses concerning their practice and their skills.
- Increase curiosity and the professional interest regarding to oncology nursing research.
- Promote evidence-informed care as the foundation for excellence in nursing.
- Transmit to members the most recent scientific knowledge relating to oncology nursing.
- Improve communication between health care providers and patients.
- Encourage intraprofessional, interprofessional, national and international exchanges.
Domain of activities
- Publication of articles online (www.sionco.be).
- Organization of the annual symposium.
- Participation in training in specialized oncology nursing.
- Representation at international meetings:
- EONS (European Oncology Nursing Society)
- AFIC (Association Française des Infirmier(e)s en Cancérologie)
- AFSOS (Association Francophone pour les Soins Oncologiques de Support)
- EAPC (European Association for Palliative Care)
- O.N.S.: (Oncology Nursing Society, USA)
- INCC: (International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care)
This Society Focus was written by Patrick Crombez.
Society focus puts our society members on the spotlight, with news of their activities, events and member support
A different society is highlighted in the EONS email newsletter each month.